Elaboration on RFID Technology

November 25, 2010


After this week’s discussions on Radio Frequency Identification Technologies I have chosen to abandon my initial creative project idea and focus on a new topic. During her presentation, Patrice touched on highway 407 and the use of RFIDs and transponders to monitor the driving habits and geographical coverage of the highway’s users.
This past summer my job required me to use the 407 twice a day, Monday to Friday. My work paid for my use, but this allowed them to see the bill. The bill showed a record of every time I accessed / used the highway, including the time of day, how long I was on the highway, what on-ramp I used, and where I exited. Not only could my work monitor my driving habits during the week, but they could also see when / where I was driving on the weekend. This has provoked some serious thinking, and I will likely pursue creating a theoretical manifesto or culture jam to “get back” at the powers that be – the almighty 407 corporation.

No comments:

Post a Comment